Your School Counseling Department: What does your School Counselor do?
School Counselors provide proactive, preventive support throughout the school year for all students. We respond to the academic, personal, social and career questions/concerns of all students on an as needed basis.
Please note that counseling sessions are confidential and we maintain this confidentiality for all
unless we are told the student or another student is a danger to him/herself or others.
As stated by the American School Counselor Association,"Today's school counselors are vital members of the education team. They help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development, ensuring today's students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow."
The School Counselor has many jobs.
Here is a list demonstrating a few of the tasks:
- Attends weekly team meetings to discuss student progress
- Attends PPTs, case conferences, and Student Assistance Team (SAT) meetings
- Provides short-term counseling regarding school related issues
- Refers parents and students to community agencies/resources
- Case manages all grade level 504 accommodation plans
- Assists with registering new students
- Collaborates with school staff, parents and community agencies to promote student success
- Provides information about alternative high school options
- Assists with the application process to Henry Abbott Tech (HAT), Nonnewaug and private schools
- Coordinates the 9th grade course selection process with NMHS school counselors and SMS students
- Coordinates with Sarah Noble staff in the transition from Grade 5 to Grade 6
- Collaborates with teachers to develop an improvement plan for academically at risk students
- Implements the developmental guidance curriculum by pushing into classrooms throughout the year
- Assists all students in developing individual student portfolios through the use of Naviance which begin in Grade 6 and continue at NMHS